Jim and Lynda McLennan
McLennan Fly Fishing
McLennan Introductory Fly-Fishing Schools
Who are these schools for?
1. Folks who have been given equipment and are ready to put it to good use.
2. Total beginners
3. Folks who have been spin or regular fishing for a number of years and want to move to the fly fishing world.
4. Folks who used to fish and now want to get back into using that equipment hidden in the closet.
5. Folks who have fished for some time but have never taken any lessons. This school will fill in the blanks and make their days on the river more enjoyable.
6. Parents who are wanting to introduce their children (10/11 years old +) to the world of fly fishing.
Come and share the day.
What to expect:
An understanding of:
What to look for when buying equipment.
What equipment I need to buy and what is nice to have.
Trout Food. What do I need to know about what trout eat so I can use the correct fly pattern.
What are dry flies, nymphs and streamers?
What are mayflies, caddis flies and stoneflies?
What terrestrials can I use?
Dry-land casting sessions that will bring you accurate and easy casting for a life time of enjoyment. We make sure your equipment works well for you.
2 essential knots you will need to know on the river.
How to work with your leader and tippet material for fishing with a dry fly, nymph and streamer.
How do I fish with a dry fly, nymph and streamer?
On-the-Water practice. Putting it all together.
Locations: Day 1 of our 2-day schools will be in Okotoks, Black Diamond or Turner Valley depending on availability of rooms to rent and the size of the class.
Day 2 of our 2-day schools will be on the Bow River for May and June schools and on the Sheep or Highwood Rivers for the July schools.
Fly-Fishing outfits (rod/reel/line/leader) are available for students' use during the schools.
Introductory 2021 Fly Fishing School Dates
2-Day Introductory Fly-Fishing Schools $399.00 + gst
Note description above.
School # 1
July 10 and July 11 FULL
July 17 and July 18 FULL
A Taste of Fly-Fishing $195.00 + gst
1-Day Introductory to Fly Fishing
Just Added: Aug. 15 2 spots open
June 5 Full
July 17 FULL
Aug. 15. 2 spots open
Come and learn about the sport, it's equipment and find out if this is something you would like to pursue.
- Maximum of 4 students per instructor
York Creek Weekend Fly-Fishing School & Retreat
Aug. 20 - 22, 2021 FULL
(For Intro-level to advanced fly fishers)
Cost: $870.00 + gst per person
Maximum of 6 students
Evening Sessions: Beginner to Advanced Flyfishers.Check back for 2021 dates as we are able to do.
2021 Dates TBD Knots and Leaders
2021 Dates TBD Stream Sense
2021 Dates TBD An Evening of Trout Food
Location: Sheep River Library, Turner Valley
Cost: $25.00 Can. gst. included per session
There are also private casting clinics and private days available for your convenience.